I've been thinking a lot about Togo the past few days. I'm not sure why, but probably because Paris is really, really wonderful and I just reached the half-way point this weekend. And I'm not going to sugarcoat it, I had been strongly reconsidering going there.
Honestly the truth is, I've been spoiled here in Paris. My host family makes amazing meals for me (and they give me my favorite cheese every night); I could go out every night if I wanted to since my classes generally don't start till the afternoon; when class does start, a lot of times it's out and about in Paris, learning about the history of various buildings and monuments or analyzing a famous painting at the Louvre or the Musée d'Orsay; I have a crêpe with Nutella at least once a day; and in general, it's low-stress, high-enjoyment. I have no real obligations. It's a very cushy lifestyle.
Going to Togo is really going to change everything. I won't have everything handed to me on a silver platter anymore. From what the other Yalie that had her internship in Togo has been telling me, it will be a very trying first few days of adjustment when I get there. Instead of spending my afternoons discussing the neo-classical elements in a Delacroix painting, I'm going to be working in a village in the dead heat of summer with limited access to Internet. Somehow that seems way less romantic than I imagined before I came to Paris.
And getting there and back is a logistical nightmare. And my housing there won't be secured until I get there. And there are so many things up in the air about it. But still, I'm going to go, even though a huge part of me is saying not to and just to chill at home for the rest of the summer. Even though it certainly won't be the fairy tale that Paris is right now, I know that at the end it will have been so worth it.
I've realized that this is way more an internship for me than for the organization. I should just admit that to myself right now. They've been getting by with me for years now and they will get by without me when I leave. I can't make THAT huge of an impact while I'm there (it's such a short period of time...there's no way I can start some ground-breaking initiative or something), so why am I so set to go anyway? I'm hoping that maybe it'll help me clarify my own career path or research interests. That's really self-interested and borderline paternalistic of me because the alternative, I guess, is "Oh I hate it, I guess development work is not for me, sorry everyone in Africa, back to a cushy lifestyle!"
I don't know I don't know I don't know I don't know. In the meantime, I'm going to make the most of my couple of weeks that remain of my stay in Paris.
Tuesday, June 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2010
(81)
-
▼
June
(24)
- Daily Sched (pronounced skej)
- Today was such a success
- Fine I got some more.
- In which Chris comes to Paris
- Four Yalies sitting at a Parisian sports bar
- With my mind on Togo
- Châteaux and what not.
- I want an apartment like this.
- Home stay.
- Aged cheese.
- Squash
- Home stay fail.
- A Step by Step Handbook on Wasting Your Weekends i...
- First impressions of Paris
- To make up for it.
- Literary High Horse
- Mona what?
- Crossing the English Channel
- To-go Sushi
- Tea with the Queen and Shabdha at 0200 hours
- Who says airplane food is bad?
- Oh no! I'm doing that thing!!
- A nice welcome to Paris?
- London?!
-
▼
June
(24)

Nico,
ReplyDeleteDo what you think is best for you! Africa will probably be the toughest thing you'll ever experience in your life. It will be the COMPLETE opposite of Paris (even Memphis!). You will definitely learn to appreciate what you have, but it's going to be tough. You'll have to learn self-discipline and learn how to make it through. Hell, I just came back from bumble-fuck-nowhere, Mississippi and...omg, Nico, this place was a huge culture shock for me. My daily activities consisted of eating fattening (yet oh-so-delicious) Southern cooking, riding a horse and buggie, swimming in a pond, getting my toe nibbled on by a cat fish, watching rednecks litter beer and soda cans on the side of the dirt road while dropping the "n" word every other sentence, and going out deep into the woods where, if I were murdered and my body was hidden there, no one...absolutely NO ONE would find me. Also - watching redneck girls try to run over a little rabbit on the road. My heart nearly broke in a million pieces. THAT was hard for me...I could not even imagine what it would be like in Africa. You should make a Pro/Con list (Maybe we can make the list on our vchat sesh). Going to Africa would be an amazing experience for you and I really think you would mature a lot from it. Of course, it's up to you what you want to do, but do what you think is best for you. If you do decide to skip out on Africa and stay home, WE COULD HANG OUT MORE! :D