Monday, May 31, 2010

T minus 4 days!

Not much in the way of posting recently because (a) I realized that I already have exceeded 20 blog posts and I haven't even left the country yet, and (b) not much as happened in any case. Regarding point (a), I've found blogging rather addicting because it allows me to entertain the pretense that people care about what I have to say. Ha. What a joke. In any case, I enjoy this blogging thing. Even more than, dare I say it, Twitter. I know, I know.

Anyway last Thursday my parents departed for a weekend trip to Seattle, and I was tempted to go with them but it's a little tiring not being in one place for more than a week so I stayed at home for a relaxing weekend filled with watching the two greatest shows on television -- Iron Chef and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (thanks to Eddie for that one...and for Twitter...and for everything else good in life, really). I know everyone knows the first but maybe not the second. If you have never watched it, go to Hulu right now and watch an episode. Season 5 is up on Hulu now, which is great because it has the funniest episodes so far. It's like, "The Office"-ish type humor but 100x better aaand with Danny Devito. Recipe for success.

My past week has also been filled with my two other favorite things: being nerdy and Kimberly Do. (Separately, mind you.)

So my first favorite thing. Being nerdy. My major goal for the summer, I've decided, is to become functionally proficient in Italian. A little ambitious, maybe. But unreasonable? Not at all. It's super, super, super easy after French, Spanish, and Latin. Formula for Italian: take Latin words, say them with a Spanish-ish accent, and put them in a sentence using French grammar. VoilĂ . But really. I've already downloaded lots of materials and am past the elementary stage (basic conversation and vocabulary). Bought a grammar book today. So nerdy but so fantastic. My siblings have seen me listening to Italian recordings, podcasts, newscasts, etc. nonstop for the past 5 or 6 days. I can't believe I'm admitting this on the interwebzzz but those who know me would kind of expect this. It's so me...But still so inexcusably nerdy.

Aaand the second is my best friend from home Kimmy. She kind of defies description. Ahh, what can I say? Let's see, I guess she balances out my idiosyncrasies and traits really well. I guess we could say the yin to my yang, if we're feeling cheesy.  Case in point: today when we were "hanging out" (which involved me dragging her to Barnes and Noble so I could buy Italian study materials and other books to read during my adventures), she noticed the person doing the overhead announcements had a strong British accent. Wondering how anyone in the city of Memphis could ever possibly come from England, she approached the man and asked if his accent was real...to find out that, indeed, it was. But also, she's super super thoughtful and bought me the perfect goodbye present. Check it outtt: http://www.moleskineus.com/moleskine-paris-citybook.html. I had mentioned to her earlier that I wanted a Moleskine notebook to jot down notes on, and she bought me this one. Not only is it a fantastic notepad, it also has lots of Paris-specific features like pull-out maps, a street guide, conversion tables, and so much more. If you're going abroad (or not) this summer, I hiiiiighly recommend this little treasure.  From what I saw in the bookstore, they have ones for New York, Barcelona, Madrid, Rome, New York, San Francisco...and more I probably forgot. It's awesome. She's awesome.

Yeah, so that's been my life recently. To summarize:
  • Iron Chef
  • It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
  • Being Nerdy
  • Kimberly Do
Oh!! I almost forgot the point of this post. My life's going to be pretty different excitingly soon because it's t minus 4 days till Nico's Epic European Adventure!!

1 comment: