Monday, May 17, 2010

Not-so-fine motor skills

Every time I get in the car for the first (and second...and third...) time during a school vacation, I inevitably go through the following thought process:
  • Oh no. I have to drive.
  • Oh god. I haven't driven in 5 months.
  • Ok I can do this. 
  • So, first step... Key in. Great! I got the hang of this!
  • Oh god. Key to the right or the left?
  • Right? Yes? YES! This is easy.
  • Oh no...which is the gas and which is the brake!?!?! I do NOT want to mess this up.
  • I bet it's this one--(VROOOOM). Oops, I guess it's the other one.
  • Ok, press the brake? Check.  
  • Switch to reverse?  Check. 
  • AND WE'RE OFF. YES. SUCCESS.
  • Whew. Made it out of the driveway. Easy cruisin' from here!
(45 seconds later, after making it out of the neighborhood)
  • ...oh god. I forgot how to get to Starbucks.
I pull over to the side of the road and program Magellan, the GPS system.  Maggie, for short.  Usually, Maggie has a soothing British accent, but today, she sounded rather harsh when she reminded me that Starbucks only involves one left turn and one right turn from my neighborhood. Fail. 

My muscle-memory in the "how to operate heavy machinery" department tends to disappear with bewildering and embarrassing rapidity.

1 comment:

  1. LOL THIS IS HOW I DRIVE TOO slash I'm fairly certain it's the story of every college student's life. nbd no worries

    ReplyDelete