Saturday, May 15, 2010

Piano recitals, Pick-pockets, and J. Crew

Aaron had his piano recital today. It was adorable. He did cry and refused to participate in the group photo, though, after the older students got trophies and he didn't. That's right, Aaron, stick it to the man.  I guess they don't give out trophies for participation anymore. 

I finally finished my Spanish paper and life is great.

And in other news, the plans for Nico's Great European Adventure (NiGrEAd) are shaping up nicely! (Update: At the behest of Paul and my sister, I suppose NiGrEAd should be amended to NiEpEAd -- Nico's Epic European Adventure, lest you sound politically incorrect when you pronounce NiGrEAd.)
  • NiEpEAd will likely commence in Barcelona on the 1st or 2nd of June
  • I'll fly to Paris to meet with the homestay on the 4th
  • Classes will start on the 7th
  • Our class will have a trip to Tours on the 19th and 20th
  • And a visit to Versailles will take place on the 2nd of July
  • NiEpEAd will hopefully continue to Rome on the 3rd-5th of July (Eddie, let's discuss.)
  • NiEpEAd ends with a flight back to JFK on the 6th
  • I want to fit a visit to Shabdha in London in there somehow so we'll see.
  • (I like bullet points, so clean and crisp.)
  • (Oh eff. Now I realize NiEpEAD sounds like something else inapprops. Whatevs.)
 Details on Nico's Epic African Adventure (NiEpAfAd) are a little hazy so information on that to come.

And finally, no Great European Adventure comes without proper preparation, including (and especially) attire.  Heaven forbid you're the uncouth, unkempt, and unstylish American who doesn't know the difference between Christian Lacroix, Christian Louboutin, and Christian Dior.  (I'm not gonna lie, I just had to Google those myself.)  For this reason, I was excited to come across page 44 of GQ's May 2010 issue: Project Upgrade, An American Bro Goes Abroad:  
When you're traveling through Europe, you probably don't want to dress like you spent the night on Bourbon Street.  We help Zach Sklaver look like he belongs at a Paris café or the Roman Colosseum, not a college vomitorium.
Perfect! I thought to myself.  A sure-fire way to make sure that I don't walk down the Latin Quarter screaming TOURIST HERE and that NiEpEAd develops without any pick-pocketing incidents.

Now you may be thinking two things:
  1. Nico, you're not a bro. That article is not for you.
To which I would respond, you are certainly right.  But at the time that I was reading the article, I was wearing exactly what Zach Sklaver was wearing in his "Before" picture:  casual t-shirt, cargo shorts, tennis shoes, and ridiculous sunglasses.  I guess I've picked up enough of the "American college kid" style to surely be the immediate target of those scheming pick-pockets at the local Métro station.

     2.  Nico, what are you doing reading GQ?

Don't worry about it.

Anyway. Armed with GQ's new suggestions, I took what I thought to be the perfect "I will be visiting wineries and vacationing in Europe for the summer" store by storm:  J. Crew. I spent hours perfecting the look.  Now, with my new wardrobe of preppy button-downs, slim-cut khakis, and V-neck t-shirts, my persona won't reek of a tailgating American college kid.

Thanks, page 44 of GQ's May 2010 issue. I'm ready for NiEpEAd.

Disclaimer:  The vast majority of my readers will re-refer to point (1) and say to me "Nico, this is ridiculous. You would never need to change your wardrobe from frat-tastic American to soirée-attending European. You're already somewhere in between." And you're right. But I did go to J. Crew today.

2 comments:

  1. haha much better!

    I'll be starting my blog soon, keep an eye out.

    Also I'm really digging the music here on OACFW&RV

    ReplyDelete