Thursday, August 5, 2010

UGH WHAT IS MY LIFE.

So I called my mom back and the connection was perfect except it was the most ridiculous conversation ever and reminds me of how different my life is here from back in the States.

First of all, they were ordering Wendy's and my mom telling the lady to make sure the toy in the kid's meal was a boy toy because God knows Aaron would flip if it happened to be a Barbie or something.  And my mom kind of teased me and asked if I want a hamburger.  Because, you know, tonight I'm not having a hamburger.  I'm probably going to dine on some kind of yam-based meal.  Like every night.  So anyway because my mom couldn't talk to me (ordering at Wendy's requires full attention), she put me on the phone with my sister, who proceeded to tell me about her day trip to New York to go dress-shopping for her 16th birthday party in September (which is apparently going to be such a huge deal that my parents want me to fly home from school for it) and how she found the perfect dress and when she told me the price, my mouth dropped to the floor because it could legit support me for two years here in Africa, and how she ONLY sent the picture of the dress to her boyfriend and her best friend who died when she saw it.  Then my mom was trying to comfort me by telling that, just remember, Nic, you only have a few weeks left and when you return to the States, you will...oh wait actually let me let you go because we need to check in at the hotel so...(Wait, you're at a hotel? Why are you at a hotel? You're not in Memphis?) Yeah, we're in Memphis but we're looking at this hotel to see if it is going to be good enough for your sister's party.  Ok call me back soon, bye!!

Click.

Sigh.

And now I guess I should go back to my homestay where I will be fed yams or something. And be probed on why I think utensils to be a necessary part of my dinner routine. And why haven't I finished the entire dish yet.

Well, dear host sister, because it's made from yams and you make yams every night and sometimes wouldn't you rather be eating a Wendy's cheeseburger next to Aaron who is playing with his loud toy next to you in the car?

1 comment: