I just tried to call my mom's cell phone from Skype. When I was in Paris, it was usually fairly successful, very similar to calling her from my own phone in the states. However, throw in some always-sketchy African internet to the mix and it becomes a hilariously sad affair. First, I'm pretty sure there was a like, 30 second delay between when I spoke and when she heard me. Combine that with the fact that we only heard every third word or so of what the other was saying and there you have the best phone conversation I've ever had.
So I start the conversation, curious if it works. "Hello? Can you hear me? Hello???? Can you hear me????" And I'm about to hang up after 30 seconds or so and my mom says, "Nico!! Yes. I can hear you. HELLO! Yes, I can hear you!!!" But of course I've moved on to how amazed I am that this is working and have started telling her a story and thirty seconds later my mom comments on how she too is amazed but she can't really hear me, only every few words. I'm catching on to the pattern so I begin repeating each word three times so maybe she can form a coherent sentence from the words she does hear.
"I'm I'm I'm still still still in in in the the the office office office, are are are you you you near near near a a a computer computer computer???"
And I suppose it works because 30 seconds later, she says that she's driving, but of course at this point I've already moved on to how how how this this this is is is getting getting getting kind kind kind of of of annoying annoying annoying, so so so I'll I'll I'll just just just email email email her her her instead instead instead.
But then between the second and third "so" my mom says that she's getting gas and that I should call her back in a few minutes. Or that's what I think she said because I heard "I....car....gas....back (maybe she said bad?)...minutes...ok?" So I'll try to call her right now and see if it works.
Wish me luck.
Thursday, August 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2010
(81)
-
▼
August
(17)
- Don't. Make. Me. Leave. and Closing thoughts
- Ghana?
- So...it's official.
- hehehe
- Carrying stuff on my head.
- Would you like a monkey's skull with that?
- Will I miss it?
- For kicks and giggles
- Blind Side.
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!
- WIN
- Oh also.
- UGH WHAT IS MY LIFE.
- Best phone conversation I've ever had.
- May it be known
- Halfway point??
- The best burger I've ever had.
-
▼
August
(17)

No comments:
Post a Comment