Thursday, July 8, 2010

Nico and Aaron do Paris

Long post, but summary:

  • Family visits Paris and Aaron is great
  • OMFG I'M GOING TO TOGO.

I left Rome early Tuesday morning and let my parents at the Gare du Nord station in Paris. It's been really great showing them around, especially because every 15 minutes, Aaron likes to do an Eiffel Tower check, to make sure we're not lost and to find out what time it is, I guess. Clever.

Aaron: Where's the Apple Tower?
Nico: The Eiffel Tower?
Aaron: Yeah, the Apple Tower. Where is it?
Nico: Well, if you really want to know, it's due west of us.
Aaron: Ok good. Is it sparkling?
Nico: No, not yet, it's 3:30 in the afternoon.

(pass 15 minutes)
Nico (to family): ...oldest part of the city, and there are only a couple of structures that remai...
Aaron: Where's the Apple Tower?
Nico: The Eiffel Tower?

et cetera. But when we actually climbed the Eiffel Tower last night, it blew the kid's mind. Especially when it sparkled while we were in it. Sensory overload.

Another of Aaron's favorite pastimes is scaring and chasing pigeons, which can cause a hilariously big scene when there are enough pigeons and people. Usually it comes at the best times, like when we're taking a family photo in really crowded places like Saint-Michel or Notre Dame. Scene: we're all lined up for our beautiful Barawid photo when Aaron spots a flock of pigeons and chases after them and screams at the top of his lungs. He runs around the area like a madman and my mom angrily runs after him screaming the way she does and there are pigeons everywhere and a little boy and a mad mom and embarrassed middle siblings and an oldest brother who's dying from laughter and fun times to be had.

Anyway so yeah. Climbing the Eiffel Tower last night with my fam was the perfect way to end my travels in Paris, with grand view of the city I have come to know. Some of my dear readers have forbidden me from getting cheesy, so I'll just say that Nico's Epic European Adventure (NiEpEAd) has been more than I could've ever imagined.

...which makes me more nervous than I ever imagined I would be for Togo. The past few days have not been good. Every time I think about it, I get a sick feeling in my stomach and I feel like I'm not doing the right thing. I had two very different streams of thoughts last night as I was thinking about the whole thing on the top of the Eiffel Tower. 

1. As I looked out onto the sparkling city that represents the apotheosis of all things cultural and classy, I kept thinking -- I want to BE HERE. I really enjoyed going to museums and debating the merits of Matisse or the influence of Ingres. I know it was not real life at all. I didn't have any responsibilities or concerns, and it was one of the most relaxing months I've had in a while. 

2. But at the same time, it's really really really not fair that such large wealth gaps exist in the world...that you can have an entire city like Paris or Rome versus an entire country like Togo. Obviously not everyone in Paris is rich and not everyone in Togo is poor, but the generalities here have an all-too-real meaning.  One is very, very clearly richer than the other, and it's disturbing.  And anything I would be doing to exacerbate that gap leaves me with a really bad taste in my mouth. 

Regardless, I can't help but want to cancel the whole thing and spend the rest of the summer doing nothing and leading a cushy lifestyle in the States. Last night, my mom and I were even considering options if I end up hating it (Mom: Do you want to send you goat cheese while you're there?? I can have it to your home stay IMMEDIATELY. Nico: No...I think it would stink. Mom: Do you want me to change your flight?? etc) 

You guys, I legit haven't felt like this in a long time. I get sick to my stomach every time I really think about it and last night on the Eiffel Tower, I was so close to calling the whole thing off and continuing with my family to London and back to the States. But I'm not going to.  Something about point (2) above makes me push myself. I'm going to do it. My flight leaves from CDG at 4 this afternoon and EFF I NEED TO FINISH PACKING. Aight I'm out.

Ok sorry if I was being awkwardly melodramatic but I need to get it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment